The devastating fires in Greece have claimed over 84 lives, with more than 100 still missing and hundreds hospitalized. Over 1,000 homes have been destroyed and fires are still raging.
Please help with what you can and please help spread the word.
Thank you very much,
'The good side of Greece'
'The good side of Greece'
Go Fund Me 'Greece Wildfire Relief Campaign'
- This campaign is hosted by the Hellenic American Leadership Council (HALC) and Chicago Sister Cities International - Athens Committee.
- HALC works with registered, vetted nonprofits and other organizations that have a clear record of transparency, accountability and effectiveness. We are in the process of continuing our vetting but at the moment, 100% of funds raised will be directly distributed to the following vetted, approved organizations:
- Hellenic Red Cross (Ελληνικός Ερυθρός Σταυρός)
- This organization is providing direct, urgent emergency relief to those affected, such as first aid, shelter, and more.
- SOS Children's Village Greece (Παιδικά Χωριά SOS Ελλάδος)
- This organization provides support services to children. At least 23 children have been injured by the fires, some in critical condition. We will distribute funds directly for any medical care, feeding of displaced families, housing of displaced families or care for orphaned children.
For those in Greece:
- Address: Leof. Sofokli Venizelou 145, Ilioupoli 163 42 (Tel: 210 994 0279)
- The Municipality of Ilioupoli is collecting medical and food supplies from 08:00 - 20:00 until Fri. 27 July
- Address: 3-5 Agrafon, Maroussi (Tel: 694 498 7730)
- Workers from the Center for Disease Prevention and Control (KEELPNO) are working with the municipal authority of Rafina-Pikermi to collect basic medical supplies like gauze, iodine, antiseptic creams, diapers, baby wipes and non-perishable foodstuffs at its headquarters (3-5 Agrafon, Maroussi, tel 694.498.7730) in northern Athens.
- Nea Makri / Marathon
- Address: 104 Marathonos Avenue in Nea Makri
- The Municipality of Marathon is collecting bottled water, foodstuffs and other supplies at 104 Marathonos Avenue in Nea Makri, while the mayor of Megara in western Atttica has opened the town's community centers (KAPI) to take in people looking for shelter.
- Palaio Faliro
- Address: Nerou Square, Faliro Bay, Palaio Faliro (Tel: 210 481 9001)
- The Attica Regional Authority, meanwhile, issued an announcement saying that people or businesses wanting to make a donation can reach out to its logistics center (Nerou Square, Faliro Bay, Palio Faliro, tel 210.481.9001) or to their local municipal authority.
- Address: Platia Korai, Piraeus (Tell: 210 413 0046)
- The Volunteer's Office of the Municipality of Piraeus (Γραφείο Εθελοντισμού του Δήμου Πειραιά) from 08:00 - 20:00 until Thu. 26 July is collecting medical and food supplies
- Psychico / Filothei
- Address: Stefanou Delta 15, 15454 Psychico (Tell: 210 679 8100)
- Athens College - Psychico College is collecting gauze, Betadine, Fucidin, baby nappies, baby wipes, long-serving foods (biscuits, canned foods, long-life milk, juices, etc.) from 09:00 - 13:00 on Wed. 25 July, Thu. 26 July and Fri. 27 July